If we all work together, we'll be able to see that rating start to get lower and lower.
Google Review Swarm
What is the digital action?
Add as many Google Reviews as you can on Google Maps to lower the star rates of Standard Chartered across the world.
When can you do it?
Purpose of the action:
- Firstly, it’s about reaching people we wouldn’t normally, informing them about the role banks like Standard Chartered are playing in funding the climate-destroying fossil fuel projects across the Global South.
- Secondly, it’s about delivering a blow to the public image of these banks by bringing their star ratings crashing down.
How to add a Google review:
- In order to review somewhere on Google, you will need a Google account. If you haven’t got on, you can create one fast, free and easy. Google has a support page on how to do so here, but get in touch if you’d like some extra help.
- Make sure you’re signed into your Google account before you leave your review.
- Go on Google maps and search for Standard Chartered locations in the country you want to leave the review in. You can also use some of the links at the bottom of this page.
- Click on the Standard Chartered office you want to review. There will be information about the building, such as its opening hours, contact info, and photos. If you scroll down this, you will find the review summary.
- From here, you simply click ‘Write a review’ or click on “Rate & Review” and get going!
- Choose your star rating to the location (minimum is 1)
- You can add a text review and an image to your review to help it stand out.
- Tell Standard Chartered how you feel about them continuing to fund climate-destroying projects. More information about their funding in our fact sheet here. Members of the public can see this, so this is a great opportunity to spread the word, educate, and inform other people.
- Keep it personal - what are your thoughts and opinions, why do you think Standard Chartered those fossil fuel projects.
- Remember, you can only review each location on Google once!
How to amplify a Google review:
Once you’ve finished your Google reviews, amplify them by sharing them - with friends, family, us, or on social media.
- You can share your own review, and like and share other people’s reviews using these buttons at the bottom of reviews.
- The more people who like and share these reviews, the more people will see them.
- If you share a review on Twitter, add the hashtags #RaiseYourStandards #CleanUpStandardChartered #HereForFossilFuels and tag the bank @StanChart
Our main target for this action is the Standard Chartered Head Office in London. It currently has a 3.8 and 166 reviews - bringing this rating shouldn’t be too difficult. If we all work together, we’ll be able to see that rating start to get lower and lower.
As you can only add one review per location on Google, we’ve made a short list of other targets in countries where people are directly impacted by Standard Chartered. Done with these and want to keep going? Find your own targets by reviewing different Standard Chartered locations across the world.